We all want to live a more earth-friendly lifestyle. But sometimes, when we're inundated by all the climate change doom-and-gloom—we have 10 years to turn the tide! Only nine percent of items are actually recycled!—all our efforts can feel, well... hopeless.
That's why our current strategy is to stop thinking and just do. Incorporate one, five, or all of these quick lifestyle shifts into your routine to feel instantly more eco-active.
1. Use reusable cotton pads for your skincare routine rather than one-time use versions.
2. Eat less meat—even one to two meals a week without it help!
3. Try reusable paper towels.
4. Check what's already in your pantry before you go grocery shopping to reduce food waste.
5. Be more conscious of turning lights and electronics off.
6. See if more renewable energy options are available in your area.
7. Start composting.
8. Buy fewer fast fashion products, or join a rental service like Rent The Runway or Nuuly.
9. Bring a reusable mug to your local coffee shop.
10. Next time your light bulb burns out, replace it with a more eco-friendly version.
11. Cut old tee shirts into strips to create dish rags.
12. Learn how to store your food properly so it doesn't go bad as quickly—reducing food waste.
13. Switch to more earth-friendly cleaning products.
14. Go to work via public transportation as often as possible.
15. Stop using coffee stirrers.
16. Wash all your clothes on the cold setting.
17. Borrow books from the library rather than buying new ones.
18. Choose to take one fewer flight this year and vacation closer to home.
19. Heat up food in the microwave rather than the oven. (They're way more energy-efficient!)
20. Take old shoes to get repaired rather than buying new ones.
21. Next time you need a new phone case, look for a biodegradable or recycled-plastic option.
22. Wrap presents with cool-looking magazine or newspaper pages to give these items a second life.
23. Sell old furniture on Facebook, Craigslist, or AptDeco.com rather than sending it to the landfill.
24. Install a low-flow showerhead.
25. Stop purchasing bottled water.
26. Bring your own container to restaurants to take leftovers home.
27. Grow your own veggies.
28. Purchase reusable or refillable beauty products, like our mineral powder foundation and refillable powder compact.
29. Use a safety razor rather than a disposable one.
30. Keep a digital calendar rather than a paper one.
31. Adjust your thermostat to be a few degrees higher than usual in the summer and a few lower in the winter.
32. Recycle your old car. (It's a thing!)
33. Allow yourself to buy new beauty products only when you finish one.
34. Cut your tubes open to utilize the last bit of beauty products and ensure none goes to waste.
35. Pour a splash of vodka into your flower vase. Seriously, they'll last longer!
36. Pay your bills online.
37. Opt for a bamboo toothbrush.
38. Buy beauty products packaged in glass rather than plastic. (Glass is infinitely recyclable.)
39. Unsubscribe yourself from paper-wasting junk mail here.
40. Install a bidet to your toilet—you won't need nearly as much toilet paper.
41. Switch to reusable menstrual cups during your period.
43. Opt for digital tickets to concerts, movies, and sporting events.
44. Swap plastic baggies for reusable silicone versions.
45. Make coffee with a pour-over or French press rather than K-cups.
46. Donate old clothes.
47. Swear to always eat all your leftovers.
48. Shop from environmentally-focused companies.
49. Repurpose candle containers as holders for your toiletries. (Just throw it in the freezer over night to make the wax easier to remove.)
50. Have items you're not sure you can recycle? See if the brand is on Terracycle.